After the thought of buying something, it’s time to start shopping, right? Well, not quite — for me, at least. I’ll do my groundwork to find out more about the desired item. Here’s how:
- Use search engine: My first stop is usually Google, which is a treasure trove of information.
- Visit the online shop: Some shops are not online but the products may be found in e-commerce sites such as Alibaba, Amazon and Qoo10.sg, or others like Carousell and eBay.
- Read reviews: It’s good to find out what people are saying about the product. But, do note that some reviewers can be biased because of personal inclination or maybe the company has incentivised them in some ways. Read a few reviews for a more rounded view.
- Leverage social media: Sometimes, a post on Facebook asking for opinions on social media can help. Your friends may own the product or have heard opinions from those who have one.
- Check out forums: The most honest views, in my opinion at least, are found in forums. People are less constraint on the Net and if the product doesn’t work, they tend to voice their opinion.
- Go to the physical shop: Sometimes, it’s good to see and feel the product before buying. If distance is not an issue, pay a visit to the physical shop.
These are just some of the ways of research that have worked for me. Do share with us if you have more tips.